One of the most unique and rewarding snow adventures our area has to offer. Ski tour up to four dormant and not-so-dormant volcanoes over 2,000m, with access to some of the best above-treeline skiing in Japan. Experience fluffy pow inside the craters as you get yourself surrounded by white walls.
The variety of mountains offers opportunities from all ski levels. Some can be lift-accessed, and there is also an opportunity for multi-day hut-to-hut traverse. This trip also includes a one free lift ticket for Madarao Mountain to use at your convenience.
The Myoko Togakushi Renzan National Park sits on the border of Niigata and Nagano prefecture. The park boasts diverse mountain structures of volcanic origin that offer great skiing.
- Active Volcanos Mt. Myoko ( 2,462m, a double volcano) and Mt. Yakeyama (2,400m).
- Togakushi mountain range (1,904m), is derived from an underwater volcano and is the place where to find the driest powder snow.
- The dormant volcanos of Iizuna (1,917m) and Kurohime (2,053m), with easy lift access available; Tenguhara (2,193m) and Takatsuma (2,353m), with a challenging approach but great skiing.
5-Nights / 4-Ski Days
- 5-night private accommodation at La Colina Retreat apartments with breakfast
- All mountain transfers
- Lift tickets if opted for a lift approach (where available)
- Madarao All-Mountain lift ticket (One day)
- English/Spanish/French/Japanese speaking mountain guide for resort and side-country (4 days)
- Discount on premium backcountry and avy equipment rental
- Daily bulletin board including weather forecast, avalanche reports, recommendations of best restaurants, activities, etc.
- Pick-up/drop-off at Iiyama, Kurohime, or Myokokogen train stations.
- Direct transfer between La Colina Retreat and Narita/Haneda/Toyama/Shinshu-Matsumoto/Niigata airports
- Courier baggage delivery from La Colina Retreat to the airport
- Backcountry ski tours (non-lifted access)
- Additional activities
- Avalanche safety training (This will give you the confidence to use your equipment with the aim of giving you more skills and knowledge to take away with you at the end of the trip.)
- CAT skiing
- Snowmobile tour
- Ice climbing
- Snow Monkeys visit
- Togakushi Shrine and Zenkoji Temple visit
- Ice skating at the 98’ Olympic venue
- Matsumoto Castle
- Karuizawa outlet
- Craft beer factory visit and tasting
- Japanese whisky factory visit and tasting
- Local winery/cider visit and tasting
- Local sake factory visit and tasting
- Making soba experience
- Finish-style sauna in Lake Nojiri
- Kamakura (Japanese igloos) festival (February only)
Arrival at La Colina Retreat. Check your gear and meet your guide, who will fill you in on the snow conditions and weather forecast for the week ahead. Option of day or night skiing at Madarao- reduced price lift ticket available.
Your guide will decide the best volcano to visit each day, and you will receive information about the weather, avalanche forecasts, and activities in the area each day through our dedicated website. You will have the opportunity to end each day in a different outdoor hot spring, eat in traditional or modern restaurants, or just buy some groceries to enjoy the comfort of a homemade meal at your apartment.
Departure from La Colina Retreat. If you have a late flight to catch and still have stamina, you can squeeze an additional day resort skiing at Madarao. Lift ticket is on us.
- Price for 1 person staying at one apartment with a private kitchen, living room, and bathroom.
- Groups of 4 staying at the same apartment (max 6 people) get discounted rates.
- Fully customizable subject to availability: choose your own dates, extend or shorten the trip, book your own accommodation, reduce the number of guided days, add cat skiing, …
|2023-24 TRIP SCHEDULE